Close to everything, and yet, protected from the tourist tsunami that strikes the island every season, Santa Gertrudis is, without doubt, one of the most beautiful villages on the island.
Located in the heart of Ibiza, Santa Gertrudis is easily connected to the main highways and other towns. It is surrounded by picturesque fruit fields and traditional farmhouses of white and thick walls, coloured by the Bougainville leaves.
Its surname “De Fruteira” let us know that these fields have been always abundant of orange, lemon, almond, carob, and olive trees, due to the underlayer of fresh water that keeps its fields green and lush, and provides the pageses the water they need to take care of their orchards and farms. These lands were and still are the most expensive ones on the island, and many yoga retreats and Agrotourism hotels are located here.
The centre of the village is quite small, but it’s very lively. It has an old church with a large belfry, built in the 18th century, and the main square full of cafes, bars, restaurants, and shops.
If you’re around, these are our recommendations to enjoy Gertrudis to the fullest:
- Visit the church and take some nice and nostalgic photos, as it seems to be a town frozen in time.
- Have a healthy breakfast or delicious lunch at Musset, located 50m from the main square. Or, just walk around and check the menus of the neighbouring restaurants, as they are many, and they are all very nice.
- Wander around its surroundings. The landscape is truly spectacular, ideal to grab the bike or walk and get lost in the roads.
- Take a look at the shops. From all kinds of souvenirs to fine jewelry and art galleries, they definitely worth visiting.
- Visit the fabulous design store SLUIZ, located on the way to Santa Gertrudis. Find creative furniture, decoration, clothes, food and more.
- Try a ham and cheese bocata at Can Costa, one of the most traditional bars in the island. The walls are full of paintings, and the rooms, full of locals, which gives to the place a special charm.
- Have dinner or party with style at Bambuddha. This Asian fusion restaurant is much more than just it. Art exhibitions, DJ live sessions, and special events are part of their schedule every month.
All these plans are summer and winter friendly, so stop thinking about it and discover all the flavours and adventures that await you in Santa Gertrudis!
Featured image: Sirenishotels.com